3.05.2014

Envision Rambles



This is going to quite fast, not edited, off the cuff as I think it´s important but I´m still working it out and the sun in setting on the ocean, where I would rather be.

If you´re reading this, you probably got directed from the facebook page where I linked Guru´s amazing photos and some of myself.  (Here.) He did an fantastic job capturing the magic and beauty of the festival.  It was gorgeous, inspiring, and visionary. Top notch artists and projects, beautiful land and people.   And I had a really difficult time post festival feeling right about it all.  Here are some thoughts. I would love to hear from you if you have your own. :::::::::

During the fest, the community used all of the water in the area.  Apparently the local folks in Uvita (the nearby town) couldn´t shower because there was no water.  I ended up staying an extra day at the festival, helping break down and because I was a little curious to see what the post event was like.  Most people left and went to a giant after party at a private mansion which I can´t speak to, but did hear some unfortuate stories about. During the last day, a bunch of things were stolen from myself, others, the cafe, grounds, etc. I went to a post event that I don´t think was officially affiliated, but included many people from the festival and I was struck with how exclusive it was, as in, mostly white, straight, ages 20 to 40 Americans. There were permaculture talks, a few very powerful healing ceremonies and a lot of dreadlocks and crystals. I wonder how it´s all funded, how much integrety the organizers and participants really hold.  I wonder really what the impact of all these folks flying across the world to pay money to go to a big party really is. Environmentally, racially, economically....  Good things are happening and I´m sure we´re learning (it gets better every year). I´m as guilty as anyone else and I want us to talk about it more.  I brought my concerns to Leah Song of Rising Appalacia because I see her as an artist who understand that with great power comes great responsiblity. I was impressed with and affirmed by her thoughts of the gap between what these ¨transformational festivals¨sell and what actually happens.  (She sent me to check out Climbing PoeTree.) How can we give back better? How can we remember that all artists need to be activists?  How can we be inspired to create change with less? How can we be responsible for ourselves and our impact while creating amazing art and living our dreams?

Ok, that´s all for now. I love you.

4 comments:

Ann said...

What an amazing honest synthesis of what must have been a part of life's journey.......I still remember - you are a beautiful soul. Your selfless ambition to give back more than you take of this earth is humbling and inspiring...Lot of love !

Martha Gilbert said...

Thank you ❤️

Unknown said...

This dynamic is true for so many things. Very unfortunate and hard to avoid in a world so rife with inequality. You and I are of those lucky enough to have our feet in both worlds. Born with wooden spoons in our mouths, yet having access through the gilded gates of white, American, English speaking privilege. It falls to us to bring facilitate the two way communication that will break these unhealthy divisions. Which of course is exactly what you have done with this honest and telling post. Let us continue to build bridges of love and empathy.

Martha Gilbert said...

Thanks, Forest. Well put. Wooden spoons in the mouth. <3