2.11.2014

Falling in Love with Friends

The experience of falling in love with friends
is my favorite
and so easy
with those who speak my language of soul.
In a space of strangers, those brown eyes are the first I find
and during initial conversation,
I can't find a place to rest my hands
or a way to put my feet flat on the floor.
My shyness mostly passes in a day or two,
and I am left
with the sweet resonance
of genuine affection.

Oh what a gift it is to find new friends!
Who bring a smile to my lips with each flash of golden eye,
a sparkle to my mind with each unique, quirky tale;
who evoke that most beautiful of human instincts:
the innate desire for happiness in another.

It is like
watching the sunset where the edge of the sea meets the mouth of the river
and singing to the two day old baby I offer to hold
in the pink tiled restroom
of the roadside stop of the bus headed south
and the sight of a tree who wears no leaves
but presents her yellow flowers
like a song to the sky.

It is like
but more slow, more tender, more restful,
when I feel my heart unfold
and blossom
in gentle appreciation
and
unattached gratitude.

>>>>>------------:::::>

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Every time we meet again...

Martha Gilbert said...

Over and over and over again...